Skip to main content

Day 9 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 9: What fiber or yarn do you love working with?

I'm not especially picky about yarn.  I love working with most of it. 

Most of what I crochet with is acrylic.  It's affordable, is readily available (sometimes in thrift stores, too), is durable and easy to care for, and comes in a wide array of colors.  It's ideal for afghans, toys, or anything else that's going to take a lot of wear and tear-- and possibly need frequent washing.  Also, afghans take a lot of yarn, so it needs to be relatively cheap.

I also crochet with a lot of mercerized cotton-- mostly for doilies.  I like some brands better than others (South Maid being my current least favorite), but again, I'm not that particular about it. 

I've crocheted with sport and worsted weight cotton a bit, but while I like cotton for some things, it tires my hands faster than nice acrylics or natural fibers with some "give".  Thick cotton is just so rigid and unyielding!  (Funny that I've never had that problem with cotton thread...)

I have limited experience with other natural fibers, but I've done some crocheting and knitting with wool, wool blends, and an angora (rabbit's fur) blend.  I've really enjoyed working with those, so far-- and I have some nice wool-bamboo blend waiting for the right project... and also some reclaimed cashmere and silks that I'll do something with, someday.  (But they're all such a fine gauge I'll probably need to hold them doubled or tripled.)

The strangest thing I've crocheted with was strips of old t-shirts that I crocheted into a rug.  (g)  That really did tire my hands! 

I'm a yarn omnivore.  ;o)