Skip to main content

Day 13 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 13:  Do you have yarn that you love but can't find a project for?  

Yes, I've had that problem-- mostly with variegated yarn.  It looks so pretty in the skein, but I often find it ugly worked up in crochet or knitting (but especially crochet), unless it's just the right sort of pattern.

I had trouble finding a use for my lovely Mosaic Twist yarn, until I saw how beautiful the Chickadee Cowl pattern looked in a number of variegated yarns.

Yarn Bee's Mosaic Twist "Fruity"


Chickadee Cowl


That pattern taught me to love the linen stitch for making harmony among a number of colors.  One of these days, I'm going to make a linen stitch scarf with odds and ends of leftover yarn.  (There are several patterns on Ravelry; search for "linen stitch scarf".)

I may also use a linen stitch-based pattern for some other variegated yarn I've had for several years-- Yarn Bee Soft Delight Pomp in the Ladybug colorway.  (I may need to make another cable so I'll have one long enough to make a scarf lengthwise...  I think my longest cable is a bit short for the job.)

Baby Bee -- Sweet Delight Pomp -- Ladybug


I have some pretty Patons Grace (100% mercerized cotton) in the Tangelo and Spearmint colorways-- bought on clearance, as almost always-- that I don't know how to use.  It's pretty, and the Tangelo is uniform enough that it might not be hard to find an attractive use for it, but there's such a big contrast between the white and the blue in the spearmint...

So, boldly variegated* yarn is my biggest stumbling block, when it comes to pairing yarn with patterns. (*Slight variations, as in kettle-dyed yarns, give me no pause.)