Skip to main content

Day 17 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 17:  Have you ever had a project that you loved become ruined?  What's the story behind it?

I can't think of anything like that... Maybe I've just been lucky, but also I'm pretty careful with things.  It's possible that something I've made for and given to someone else has been ruined (aside from dish scrubbers, which are meant to be used roughly and will eventually wear out and need to be thrown away)-- but not that I know of.

In any case, I'm sure I'd be upset if a favorite project was ruined, but I try to look at it as an "experience hobby" as much as an "object hobby".  I enjoy the process of knitting and crocheting.  If not, it certainly wouldn't be worth my time and trouble to knit and crochet-- especially when you consider that, often, you can buy a similar (though rarely identical) blanket, scarf, or whatever else cheaper than you can make it yourself.  (If you count your time as money, the "cost" of each item goes up drastically-- though I almost never do, since again, I enjoy knitting/crocheting.  If I weren't crocheting, I'd be spending the time doing something else I enjoy... so why "charge" for it? (g))

...All that said, I also take pride in the finished object, so there's no denying, I'd be at least a little sad to see something I'd put much effort in completely ruined before its time.