Skip to main content

Day 14 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 14:  What's the worst yarn / fiber that you've worked with and why?

Hm... The worst I can recall is probably the stuff I tried to teach myself to knit with the first time around-- the time that it didn't stick.  Yeah, that was a brilliant plan.  I know very well what I was thinking at the time:  Start with the yucky stuff, that way you aren't wasting anything nice on what is sure to be your ugly first attempts at knitting.  But Michael, dear, there's a big difference between not wasting your nicest yarn and struggling with the ickiest stuff on planet Earth! ;o)

That yarn was stiff and scratchy and just gross.  And trust me, if I say it was bad, it was.  I'm not finicky about most acrylic yarn, so it means something if it's so bad that I don't like it.  ;o)  (...And yet I did eventually use the stuff. (g) Couldn't bear to let it go to waste, so I crocheted a few pot scrubbers from it.  The burnt-on food on those pots never knew what hit them.)  I have no idea what brand it was, though.  It was a remnant of a skein that came in a bag full of yarn from a thrift store.  White variegated with very oddly placed bits of color here and there-- primary, "circus" colors-- yellow, blue, red, and green.

I was going to link to a photo of one of the scrubbers I made with it, but apparently I never took photos of them... Maybe I'll snap one later and edit this post.  Then again, maybe not... After all, it was the worst yarn I've worked with, so why does it deserve showing off?  ;o)