Skip to main content

Day 21 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 21:  Do you knit gifts for friends and family for the holidays or birthdays?

I haven't been knitting long, but yes, I do knit and (more often) crochet for family for holidays and birthdays (and the occasional "thank you", etc. sort of gift).  It started way back with the knitting loom and those fuzzy novelty yarn scarves.  (g)  I like to think that the gifts I make now are nicer than those scarves were...

I feel a little self-conscious when giving people handmade gifts-- like I'm obligating them to express appreciation (true for any gift, really) and possibly bombarding them with "stuff" they won't even like or use (again, could be true for any gift, but at least many store-bought gifts are exchangeable...)-- but I try not to worry about it too much.   I will say this, though:  Any family member who may read this, please, please don't feel obligated to keep or use something I've given you.  If it's just taking up room, please feel free to donate it or pass it along to someone else.  If it's been completely messed up, throw it out.  I won't be offended.  I probably won't even know, but if I ever do find out, I won't be offended. (g)

I like making gifts because it allows me to make more things than I could justify if I were making them just for myself or my home.  I can make a favorite pattern multiple times.  I can make toys-- something I'd be unlikely to make for myself.  I can give a unique, personalized gift-- something that you can't easily get from the local shops.  For the price of a skein or two of yarn, (sometimes) I can make something nicer than what I could buy with the same amount of money.  And finally, there's just something fun and special about having the secret of making someone a handmade gift.