Skip to main content

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas

I ought to be dusting the living room, sorting through accumulated "stuff" on kitchen and dining room surfaces, or cleaning the bathrooms.  Therefore, I naturally set about figuring out how to work our new(ish) scanner.  (I'm such a great housekeeper!)

Quite some time ago, I was given (among a bunch of other things) an old copy of McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas, a seasonally themed craft magazine.  It's from 1970, so of course many of the crafted items have a very retro look to them.  Others are just plain ugly.  (g)  I thought I'd share a few scans of things that caught my attention.

- - - - - - - 

Check out the snowman in this first photo.
Those dark circles around his eyes are kind of creepy, aren't they? 

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas


- - - - - - - 

Then we have this one, where Santa relaxes (a little too cozily?) with one of his over-sized elves, after a long day of toy-making (I guess)...

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas


And those clown mittens!!  What was it with hand-crafted clowns in the 60s/early 70s?  They're everywhere!

- - - - - - - 

Ok, next up is something that is supposedly a knitted Christmas tree, but I think you'll agree that it's clearly a hideous wedding cake... made of yarn... and decorated with pom-poms:

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas


Can't you just hear the poor 1970-kid crying when Mommy explains that this will be their Christmas tree that year?  "But honey, it's so much cleaner!  No messy needles to sweep up every day!  And the best part?  It's re-useable!!  That's right, sweetie; we'll get YEARS of use out of it."

- - - - - - -

I've saved my two favorites for last.

First--
Look!  In the sky!  Is it a bird?  Is it a plane?  No-- it's Crochet Girl!!

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas


I mean, really.
Look at that get-up!

I think the super-hero look comes mainly from the red unitard/pantsuit she's wearing, and the fact that her whole ensemble is red, white, and blue... but even taking the pieces individually, it's very unique.  The crocheted skullcap!  The hideous poncho!  And that odd choker thing she's wearing!  (I know, that's not crocheted, but I still think it's funny-looking.)

And finally... 
It's an ad for "the swingingest crochet you'll ever see"!!!

That's right.  
"The young people today are taking up and taking over crochet-- and here is the book with the youngest-looking, handsomest, eye-catchingest designs to be found anywhere!  You would like to make them-- but you've never crocheted before?  No problem!  You can make them!" 

McCall's Christmas Make-it Ideas

Check it out, guys and gals!

You'll enjoy making all sorts of groovy things, including "the see-though look in a hip-hugging pants and poncho set"!    And did you see that nifty double-breasted sweater the man on the cover is wearing?!  Or that scrappy top on the girl?  And it was only $1.00!!  (What a steal!)

- - - - - - -

I have some more pamphlets with funny photos of vintage crochet and knitting.  I'll try to scan and post a few, from time to time.