It's not my favorite afghan I've ever crocheted (the colors...), but it's not hideous, either (imho). Of course since it was a mystery crochet-along-- and I was trying to stash-bust-- some of my color choices/placements could have been better, but I don't think it looks bad. Even the dreaded harvest gold is alright in this context, I think. (To tell the truth, the longer I look at it, the better I like it...)
Although this is not a huge afghan, it's still been on the WIP list for months and months, so I'm happy to have it completely done. :o)
The pattern (Deco'Ghan) has plenty of variation to keep things interesting. ...Well, there are several of some of the motifs... Twenty of one type of square, I think-- but that's nothing compared to making an entire adult-sized afghan from one type of square. Lots of fpdc, though. If you hate them, I think the designer included another option for the center medallion. I don't hate them, myself, but they do make that center square very thick, compared to the rest of the afghan.
The downside of this kind of afghan is putting those different-size, different-shape pieces together. Making sure everything matches up and is in the right place. All that slip stitching. All that fudging. I managed to mess up one of the joins (put it together the wrong way)-- bad enough of a mistake that I "had" to rip it out and re-do it. Joining is a fair amount of work, all told. (That's why I insisted on join-as-you-go for the current hexagon motif afghan.)
The squares in the four corners are a complete departure from the pattern, by the way. I just didn't like the look of those squares. Not my style... I'm not sure that my substitution (something I made up, attempting to keep the stitch count/size right) is really my style, either. It's okay.
That rope cable border is interesting. I doubt I'll ever use it on an afghan again-- possibly on a pillow. It's time-consuming, but the results are attractive-- impressive. It looks more difficult than it is.
- - - - - - -
One last photo! Here's the promised progress photo of the Simply Soft hexagon-motif stash-buster:
Ahhhh. Soothing colors.
It turns out I had more shades of green and fewer varieties of blue than I thought. That's fine. Blues. Greens. Whatever. ;o)