Skip to main content

Mysteryghan Finished!

The 2014 Mysteryghan/Deco'Ghan is all done.  Ends woven in-- washed-- dried.
Photos, anyone?

It's not my favorite afghan I've ever crocheted (the colors...), but it's not hideous, either (imho). Of course since it was a mystery crochet-along-- and I was trying to stash-bust-- some of my color choices/placements could have been better, but I don't think it looks bad.  Even the dreaded harvest gold is alright in this context, I think.   (To tell the truth, the longer I look at it, the better I like it...)

Although this is not a huge afghan, it's still been on the WIP list for months and months, so I'm happy to have it completely done. :o)

2014 Mysteryghan

The pattern (Deco'Ghan) has plenty of variation to keep things interesting.  ...Well, there are several of some of the motifs... Twenty of one type of square, I think-- but that's nothing compared to making an entire adult-sized afghan from one type of square.  Lots of fpdc, though.  If you hate them, I think the designer included another option for the center medallion.  I don't hate them, myself, but they do make that center square very thick, compared to the rest of the afghan. 

The downside of this kind of afghan is putting those different-size, different-shape pieces together.  Making sure everything matches up and is in the right place.  All that slip stitching.  All that fudging.  I managed to mess up one of the joins (put it together the wrong way)-- bad enough of a mistake that I "had" to rip it out and re-do it.  Joining is a fair amount of work, all told.  (That's why I insisted on join-as-you-go for the current hexagon motif afghan.)

2014 Mysteryghan

The squares in the four corners are a complete departure from the pattern, by the way.  I just didn't like the look of those squares.  Not my style... I'm not sure that my substitution (something I made up, attempting to keep the stitch count/size right) is really my style, either.  It's okay. 

2014 Mysteryghan

That rope cable border is interesting.  I doubt I'll ever use it on an afghan again-- possibly on a pillow.  It's time-consuming, but the results are attractive-- impressive.  It looks more difficult than it is. 

2014 Mysteryghan


- - - - - - -

One last photo! Here's the promised progress photo of the Simply Soft hexagon-motif stash-buster:

Hexagon Scrapbuster Afghan

Ahhhh.  Soothing colors.

It turns out I had more shades of green and fewer varieties of blue than I thought.  That's fine.  Blues.  Greens. Whatever.  ;o)