Monday, January 8, 2018

Mostly Doilies

There was a remnant of Alize Miss Batik left over from "Etienne", so I decided to make a tiny doily from it.  There were still leftovers, so I crocheted the tiny doily pattern again. 

(One can never have enough tiny doilies, I guess.  They also make fun things to put in with gifts.  Even if someone isn't necessarily a "doily person", they might still find a use for one of this size.  They are cute in a frame or used as a coaster, for instance.)

So, these first photos are actually of the second Miss Batik "Mathilde".  (I can tell because I finally ran out and had to use a solid-colored thread for the last round.)

"Mathilde"

"Mathilde" is a fun little pattern designed by Grace Fearon.  It's one of her free patterns.  These are my second and third times crocheting it.  The first was in Cébélia.

"Mathilde"

And here's the other "Mathilde"

"Mathilde"

Considering that they're worked in the exact same thread, it's interesting how different they can look, depending on where in the color change you start the doily. 

"Mathilde"

For my next thread project, I broke out another skein of Alize Miss Batik-- in a different colorway (#4535)-- and crocheted "Wendy", another pattern by Grace Fearon. 

This particular colorway isn't my very favorite-- too much beige for me?  too "Southwestern" for my tastes?-- but it's not bad.  The pattern's good, too, though I did have some trouble with one or two spots.  (If you're interested, see my Ravelry project notes for details.)

"Wendy"

"Wendy"

"Wendy"

"Wendy"


"Wendy"


When that doily was finished, I weighed it and the remainder of the skein and was surprised that they were very close.  So... I decided to crochet the same doily again with the remnant.  (Is that weird?)

Because I was worried about running out too soon, I started the pattern with leftovers from another ball of thread.  I thought the salmon I chose was a fairly close match with the pink, but after I'd been crocheting a bit, I realized that the pink in the Miss Batik is a softer, cooler pink.  Well, I think they work well enough. 

Despite my precautions, I ran out toward the very end, anyway, so I added in another scrap-- a pink that's a closer match than the salmon. 

"Wendy"

Again, it's interesting to see how different parts of the pattern are highlighted, depending on where you start in progression of colors. 

"Wendy"

It's fun to watch the colors change and interact with this thread, but the texture of the thread is different from what I'm used to.  It's softer-- not as sturdy.  I would like it even better if it were a firmer thread, more along the lines of Aunt Lydia's or Cébélia. 

"Wendy"

"Wendy"


"Wendy"


- - - - - - -

Tidying up the craft room, I came across a few scraps of cotton yarn. There wasn’t enough for much of a project, so I didn’t want to stash it away. Better to just whip it up into a few more cotton dish scrubbers.

Two of them are linked double crochet (ldc) squares. The third is just an improvised circular scrubber. None of them are much to look at (edging could have been applied more evenly, for one thing), but they’ll do the inelegant job of scrubbing, and I’m glad to have those scraps used up!
Dish Scrubbers

- - - - - - -

I'm trying to resist the temptation to start another doily or start joining the granny square blanket.  The hedgehog mittens are languishing from lack of attention.  I allowed myself a break from them around Christmas, but the time has come to power through.  ...Or at least spend 15 or 30 minutes every evening on them!