Skip to main content

Heart Vines Hats

It's been what feels like forever since I knit these hats, but it was really just a little over a year ago.  Though they were both knitted in under a month, I never weaved in the ends and so never took any photos.  Since I wanted to give them for Christmas, I was finally motivated to get it done! 

The pattern, from what I can recall, was a lot of fun to knit.  It's one of those patterns that looks more complicated than it really is. 

Pattern:
Heart Vines Hat, by Sara Kay Hartmann

"Heart Vines"

I made two of them because the first one turned out smaller than I'd expected.  It then occurred to me to give the small hat to my young niece-- and to make a second matching hat (in a larger size) for my sister (the niece's mother). 

(The second one did turn out a little larger, but neither are huge hats, by my estimation.)

"Heart Vines"

Here are the two hats, the smaller one stacked on top of the larger one:

"Heart Vines"

And again, side by side:

"Heart Vines"

The yarn (Lion Brand Martha Stewart Crafts Extra Soft Wool Blend) has been discontinued, which is a shame, because it was a pleasant, soft yarn that (apparently) can be machine-washed and -dried. 

I believe these are the last two hats I've made... I enjoy making hats, but can only use so many of them myself (especially given our relatively short winters).  Donald rarely wears either of the two I've made him.  (He prefers a type of hat that I believe is called a flat cap-- not a type that lends itself well to the kind of knitting I like to do!)  Family members get the occasional knitted hat as a gift, but I don't want to go overboard. 

I have an idea or two of ways to dispose of superfluous hats-- if/when I ever start knitting them in greater numbers.