Skip to main content

Stardust Melodies CAL Update

Time for an update on my progress in the Stardust Melodies CAL!

Last time, I noticed that working in a spiral created noticeable (to me) uneven spots in a couple of the patterns.  I had intended to leave them both as they were.  There was only a minor issue with the last round or two of one block, so I did leave that one alone, but the other one nagged at me until I ripped it out and reworked with the join in the corner.  I'm much happier with the results from that method, and that's how I've worked all the blocks since that one.

So, here's my improved "Fools Rush In":

Stardust Melodies CAL

Stardust Melodies CAL


Stardust Melodies CAL


I also decided soon after the last blog post that to get the size of afghan I'd find most useful, it would be best to work all the blocks twice, so I've been going back and making a second one of each.  I still haven't made the second "Fools Rush In", but it shouldn't take long to get caught up.

Here are my two versions of "I'm Beginning to See the Light":

Stardust Melodies CAL

Stardust Melodies CAL


I think this is my favorite block of the CAL, so far.  I love the argyle pattern and can easily imagine a whole afghan made using just this block.  (I don't think I'd want to make an afghan repeating just one solid-color block over and over again, but it would be pretty!)

Stardust Melodies CAL

Stardust Melodies CAL


...And here they are together:

Stardust Melodies CAL

My second "Don't Fence Me In":

Stardust Melodies CAL

Stardust Melodies CAL


Both together:

Stardust Melodies CAL

The second "Begin the Beguine":

Stardust Melodies CAL

Both of them:

Stardust Melodies CAL

"Where or When":

Stardust Melodies CAL

Arrows pointing in all four directions-- fun!

Stardust Melodies CAL

My first try, I accidentally put the trebles that make the long part of the arrows in the wrong spots, so they were all too short.  I decided to frog and re-do it, and it didn't take long to fix.  This pattern works up quickly!

Stardust Melodies CAL

Stardust Melodies CAL


The colors are a bit off in this one.  I think I overexposed in an attempt to get the blue-green light enough, and the yellow-green got washed-out.

Stardust Melodies CAL

The latest pattern is "No Moon At All", and I just finished the first of my two blocks this evening, but I've yet to weave in the ends or take a photo.

Here's my stack of completed blocks, as of this afternoon:

Stardust Melodies CAL

This CAL is moving along at a decent clip, which I like.  It suits me better than a CAL that gives you only one or two blocks per month and stretches out over a whole year.

I just happened to find another interesting CAL a few days ago, the evening before it started.  (It was also the last day that the pattern was available for 50% off regular price-- so it was good timing!)

This other CAL is hosted by Grace Fearon, a doily designer.  The pattern is "Evelyn", and the first clue was released earlier this week, but I've yet to get started (though I've chosen my thread).  I hope to finish the clue sometime this weekend (and post photos here, soon after).