I fell completely behind on the doily crochet-along. I think it wrapped up late last week-- or at least the final clue was released then-- so I'll just take my time and work on it when I feel like it. (Soon, I hope!)
I am still keeping up with the afghan CAL, though.
Here are my blocks for the three latest pattern releases (not counting the one that came out today):
"Just One of Those Things":
This was an interesting pattern to crochet. I think the motif could be interpreted as either a flower or a four-leaf clover. It would be pretty repeated over a whole blanket.
I'm still making two of each block pattern; here's the second one:
"Pennies from Heaven":
This is a very simple pattern with a polka-dot effect. It works up quickly and easily. (Great TV- or movie-crocheting!) Even a fairly new crocheter could feel confident about this one, I think.
Here it is in blue:
This is a stack of all my blocks up to (including) "Pennies from Heaven":
This one's a little more complicated. The main challenge is the special stitch (dc6tog), which requires a certain amount of practice and/or intuition. I love the results-- very poofy-- but I found it a bit difficult to relax and enjoy crocheting this block until the special stitches were all done...
Can you imagine enlarging/extending this pattern to make an entire baby blanket or pillow covered in that fluffy special stitch? It would positively devour yarn, but I bet it would be dreamy-soft.
The colors are off in my last photo, and I'm too lazy to go back and re-edit it. The "Soft Green" is actually closer to the color in the photos further up the page.
These last few photos are of a different project.
I wanted to make a small something to put in with the Father's Day gift for my Dad, this year. He's always enjoyed listening to music, and in recent years, he's been collecting vinyl records. I thought these crochet coasters could be a fun addition to his Man-Cave, where he stores and listens to his records.
"On the Record":
They work up really quickly. (The main thing that slowed me down was having to stop and weave in the ends!)
Because I was using what I had on hand and I didn't have any cotton or wool in the right colors, these are acrylic yarn. Some people seem to think that acrylic is a bad choice for coasters. I don't know if that's true or not. Acrylic yarn seems to repel water, to some degree, but I'm not sure if that's really a bad thing in a coaster, as long as it's not "holey" fabric...
In any case, to be on the safe side, I blanket-stitched some circles of black (acrylic) felt to the bottoms of the coasters. I think that should make them sufficiently water-proof for standard coaster duty.
Next up is the newly-released CAL block named "A Kiss to Build a Dream On"-- and then maybe I'll tackle the next part of the doily.