Skip to main content

CAL Updates (and Craft-Room Photos)

I'm keeping up with the Stardust Melodies CAL pretty well.  The next pattern will be released today, and I'm ready!

My blocks aren't all coming out the same size, anymore, unfortunately, but I think they'll be close enough for a smooth joining.  The plan is to just cross my fingers and hope it will work out.

- - - - - - -

First, my second "Fools Rush In"-- first, on its own, then with the original one:

"Fools Rush In"

"Fools Rush In"

"Fools Rush In"

Next, "No Moon At All".  This pattern was a little more complicated than many of the others.  It's not as challenging as it looks, but there are at least a few places where it pays to be alert.  I love the starry design!

"No Moon At All"

"No Moon At All"

"No Moon At All"

"No Moon At All"

"No Moon At All"

The latest pattern is "Mack the Knife".  The texture on this block is exceptionally strong, and it works up quickly, too, once you master the special stitch.  (Pay close attention to the very end of the instructions for finishing the stitch; it's worked a little differently than you might assume, if you think of it as "just" a "trc together"-type stitch.)

"Mack the Knife"

"Mack the Knife"

"Mack the Knife"

"Mack the Knife"

"Mack the Knife"

- - - - - - -

I'm getting behind in the second CAL I'm participating in at the moment-- the "Evelyn" doily CAL.
I finished the first clue before the second one came out, but then I focused on the Stardust Melodies CAL, and the third clue was released (today) before I'd even started on the second one.  (Oops!)

Of course, it doesn't really matter-- and it matters even less than usual, this time, since it's not a mystery CAL.  I already know what the doily will look like, so there's no need to avoid spoilers or anything like that... But I do still feel like I "ought" to catch up on it, so I'll try.  Looking at the schedule, it seems that I have until the 12th before Clue #4 is released.  Better get cracking!

Here's my work up to the end of Clue #1:

"Evelyn" Doily (WIP)

I love the leaf motif, and it returns in later rounds.  This is a very textural doily.  (Fans of Patricia Kristoffersen's doilies should take note!)  I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, but if you're up for a challenge, this is the kind of pattern that will keep you interested-- and the finished doily looks like a work of art!

(I'm using one of the new steel hooks, as you can see in the photo below.  Seems to be working just fine.)

"Evelyn" Doily (WIP)

I've been making a few small changes in the craft room-- cleaning out some things, rearranging others, giving one or two things a fresh coat of paint.

For a long time, this little nook by the door has been wasted space (or worse, a dumping-ground for random "stuff" I couldn't decide whether to keep or donate).  Now it's a more welcoming first sight.  Moving partially-used balls of thread here clears up some space in my bookcase, too (which is where they previously resided).

Craft Room

Most things are still more or less in the same place, in the rest of the room, but it looks nicer and better organized now than it has for a while.

Craft Room

More to do, as always!