Skip to main content

Vroom-Vroom!


I realized after posting last time that I actually had finished something "photographable" recently.  It was a silly little impromptu crochet stuffie that I started, oh, two years ago.

(*unfocused saucer-eyes*  If there's one thing I hate most about projects that go into hibernation mode, it's the way they highlight the relentless passage of time.  Good grief, Charlie Brown!  Two years.  Gone.  Just like that.  *starts humming "If I Could Save Time in a Bottle*...)

Anyway, as I was saying, I decided on the spur of the moment (two years ago) to make a little stuffie in the shape of  a piece of Åhlgrens bilar for Donald, to give him on his birthday.

(Åhlgrens bilar is a brand of Swedish candy-- my husband's favorite candy ever.  They traditionally come in three colors-- pale pink, pale green, and white-- and are in the shape of cars.  "Bilar" means "cars" in Swedish, by the way. The singular "car" is "bil".)

When I saw the pattern, I thought he'd get a kick out of it, so I decided to make him one.  But then I ran out of time and couldn't finish before his birthday, so I set it aside to finish another time.  This year's birthday was that other time, apparently.

Crocheted Bilar

It looks kind of weird and not like anything at all, really, unless you are familiar with that candy.  And even then, I'm not sure the average Swede would recognize it for what it is, but fortunately Donald did, at least.

Here's the pattern, if anyone else is interested (though unless you're Swedish or have a Swedish friend who loves bilar candy, that's doubtful): Åhlgrens Bil.  It's in Swedish, but you can find Swedish-English crochet and knitting terms translation charts online.  (I think I found the chart I used on the DROPS website.)