Skip to main content

"My Year in Temperatures" Scarf

This pattern caught my attention on Ravelry, yesterday:  "My Year in Temperatures" Scarf.

The basic idea is that you assign different colors of yarn to various ranges of temperatures (as broad or narrow as you like), then you knit (or crochet) a row (or two) to represent the temperature of each day of the year.  By the end of the year, you have a whole, finished scarf representing the changing temperatures where you live.

Some people are knitting/crocheting one for the current year, a day at a time.  Others are making one based on the year past or a year with some special significance-- such as someone's birth-year.

I have to admit, this really appeals to the weather nerd in me-- and I'd also just be curious to see how it would turn out-- but I'm hesitant.  For one thing, I don't need more scarves.  (I'm sure I'm going to make more, anyway, but should this be one of them, when there are others that I'd probably find more visually appealing?)  Also, I'd have to devote several colors of yarn to this project, and I don't know if I want to tie up a bunch of skeins in a year-long project, right now.  Not sure I want to go yarn-shopping for it, either... (I could use what I have in stash, but a lot of that is already "spoken for" in current or planned projects.)

If I did make one of these scarves, I'd rather crochet than knit, because I'm so much more comfortable doing color changes and tail-weaving in crochet (and there would be quite a bit of both)-- but how long would 365 rows of crochet turn out to be?  Would half-double crochet be way too long?  I'm not sure I'd want to use single crochet...  I'd have to take a ruler to some of my finished projects and make some calculations.

This is a project that could be picked up and worked "retroactively", so there's no big rush-- and if I managed to find my birth-year temps, I might be "temp"ted ;o) to use those, instead-- in which case there's really no rush. (g)

For the time being, I'll just sit back and watch everyone else's scarves grow.  :o)