Skip to main content

Ah, Sweet Freedom! ;o)

Well, almost.  There's another family get-together-- but my gift-making for 2012 is finished.  There was one little something that I'd originally planned to have done in November... then hoped to finish by Christmas... and then gave up as a lost cause.  I'll finish it sometime-- whenever.  It wasn't important-- just a little trinket-- and the things I really "needed" to finish, I did manage to complete on time.  I was photographing and wrapping the last couple of items yesterday morning, before the first family get-together. 

It is so good to have that done!
I always feel the need, when writing along this vein, to first say that, yes, I enjoy giving hand-made gifts-- but for the past month or two, it had just gotten to feel like too much.  I do believe that 2013 will be the Year of the Extremely Limited Handmade Gifts.  (g)  I want to feel free to make whatever I like, whenever I like, with fewer deadlines encroaching onto my craft time.  Selfish crafting, if you like.  ;o)  We'll see how long it lasts, but at the moment, I'm thinking store-bought is the way to go.

- - - - -

I've started editing some of the photos I took of all those secret projects from the past year.  I'll probably upload and share them sometime later this week. 

In the meantime, I'm decompressing from the gift-making season by unraveling a thrift store sweater.  I've bought several sweaters at our local thrift store's occasional "10 items for $10" sales-- some for felting and some for unraveling.  I already used one of them to make one of this year's gifts (plus an identical item for myself).  That worked out to enough yarn for two neckwarmers (plus some left over) for only a dollar.  You can't beat that (unless you get the yarn for free)! (g)

The one I'm unraveling now is 100% cotton in a very neutral beige.  I was a little skeptical of the fiber content of the sweater, because the yarn feels softer and "spongier"/springier than most cotton I've come across, and it has a sheen that made me wonder if it wasn't at least partly acrylic-- but I did a burn test, and it seems to be correct.  I may make a crocheted cloche from it, but I'm not sure... Held double, maybe?

There's another sweater I'm itching to unravel, too.  That one is 100% acrylic, but it's very nice, soft acrylic, and the graded colors are gorgeous.  I've no idea what it will be, though... Something that will show off the gradients...

- - - - - 

Well, I'm off to do some more unraveling, maybe.  Possibly a little photo editing. ;o)

Merry Christmas!