Skip to main content

Doily FO: "Saffron"

Time for the latest doily off the blocking board!

Today, it's "Saffron", another pattern by Grace Fearon. 

"Saffron" Doily

The thread is another color of the discontinued America's Best Country Cotton. "Coral" is a fairly dark orangey shade of peach.  I found it difficult to photograph accurately.  It's not one of my very favorite colors, but since it was in the stash (and because I don't actively dislike it), I thought I'd use it up. 

"Saffron" Doily

To be honest, this pattern wasn't one of my favorites to crochet, either.  There were a couple of what I'd call "doozy" rounds.  One in particular was a challenge, and I worried that it didn't look quite right.  (It's the one with the very, very tall stitches.)  However, now that it's blocked, I think it looks fine, so maybe if I make it again, I'll enjoy it more, since I can relax in the knowledge that it will block out nicely. 

"Saffron" Doily

I do like the "latticework" element of this design-- and the overall effect is pleasant.  It makes me think of a child's drawing of the sun, with the pointed "rays" shining out in all directions. 

"Saffron" Doily

I think this is one that would look very pretty in a long-change variegated thread (like Alize Miss Batik).  In fact, I'd really like to make this one again in a variegated thread... The only "problem" is that I have so many other patterns in the queue still waiting for their first try!

"Saffron" Doily

Well, I don't think I have much else to say about this pattern, so I'll just let the remaining photos speak for themselves!

"Saffron" Doily

"Saffron" Doily


"Saffron" Doily


"Saffron" Doily


"Saffron" Doily


There are now two more doilies ready to block (once I weave in the ends on the second one), and I have the third ready to start-- all in the same colorway of Alize Miss Batik.  I'm excited to see how they look after blocking!