Skip to main content

Flower Garden Hexagon Update

Even though the first time I blogged about this afghan (in detail) was earlier this morning (thanks to that accidental "save" instead of "publish" click), I'm back with an update.  (Maybe I should do all my blogging this way.  Makes me look a lot faster than I actually am.)

I've been working on the hexagon afghan (which I'm called the Flower Garden Hexagon Afghan, because all those colorful hexagons remind me of, well, a flower garden) for a week or two, now, since starting it over again.  I'm not making lightning-speed progress, but it's growing a little at a time-- usually by at least two or three hexagons every day or two.

Here's my progress so far, looking a little blurry because there wasn't quite enough light (and I didn't want to use the flash):

Flower Garden Hexagon Afghan

And another couple views, for good measure. . .

Flower Garden Hexagon Afghan

Flower Garden Hexagon Afghan

And then just one more in direct light from a window (thus the shadowy bars across it). . .

Flower Garden Hexagon Afghan

Just don't look on the back side yet.  ;o)  I took a break several hexagons ago to tidy up the back, but sooner or later I'll have to give it some more attention.  I try to crochet over as many tails as possible to cut down on the weaving portion of the work, but there are places where I just don't like the way crocheting over the tails looks.  Mainly it's the tail left after the final round of each hexagon-- and sometimes the ends from the previous round.  If I don't like the way they're lying-- if I feel that too much of the "wrong" color is showing through to the front, I'd rather take a minute or two to weave them in by hand.  I don't really mind weaving in ends, so long as I can quickly and easily find a place to put them.  It's easier to focus on other things during end-weaving than during crocheting, so it makes a good TV project for evenings.

So, there it is.  I have crocheted 24 hexagons thus far using the join-as-you-go method.  It's not flawless, but I'm trying not to be too much of a perfectionist over it.  After all, I'm doing this for fun, and homemade things can bear a little imperfection.

One more thing!
Because the motifs are hexagons, they won't line up straight on a rectangular blanket.  You can either leave the sides jagged or fill in the gaps with crochet to straighten them up.  I suppose you could fill the gaps with anything, but the most natural choice (in my opinion, at least) is a half-hexagon.  Fortunately, someone's thought about that, come up with a pattern, and even shared it on her blog:  Mariella's "half hexies".  (See?  This is the benefit of choosing a popular pattern and waiting a couple years after all the cool kids have used it.  By that time, they've worked out all the kinks-- smoothed out any wrinkles, as it were.)

I haven't tried the half-hex pattern yet, but unless I have trouble getting it to work for me, I'm planning to use it.  Straight, even edges seem easier to add a border to, for one thing, and I know I want a border of some kind, even if it's something very simple.  

Well, that's (more than) enough of an update for now!