Skip to main content

Luna Lovegood Scarf

Last time I wrote, I had decided to try a scarf that was basically a bunch of Solomon's knots (love knots, lover's knots). I gave it a try, and after the first or second row didn't know what to do next. It was night, and I was tired, so that may have accounted for it. Whatever the reason, I couldn't see where/how I was supposed to attach the next row into the previous one. I'm going to give it another try-- and maybe seek advice if I still can't figure it out on my own-- but in the meantime, I happened upon a different scarf pattern.

The Luna Lovegood Scarf (pattern by Melissa Helton) is so called because it's based on an accessory worn by a character of that name in a Harry Potter movie. I liked the looks of the scarf, and none of the stitches seemed too difficult for a beginner. The pattern uses chains, single crochet, double crochet, shells (multiple double crochets worked into a single stitch), and a simple picot edging. (The pattern is written in US crochet terms.)

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. It is a little wider than I pictured it, but that's not really a problem with a scarf. (This is also why I am making scarves instead of, say, sweaters. (g) With scarves, gauge isn't as much of an issue.)

I think my beginner status showed itself in a couple of spots. First, I ran into a little trouble with the counting by the end of the first side of picot edging. I went back and "shared out" the uneven count slightly, though, and I don't think it's immediately obvious. Then, for some reason, the last row of shells seemed to turn out a bit larger on the second side of the scarf. I wonder if that could be because I was crocheting that outside, on a rather humid morning. Of course, it could just be that my mood was different when I crocheted that. . . There are possibly other mistakes/weak spots, too, but in any case, I can definitely wear this scarf without wrapping it up to my eyes to protect my identity. ;o)

Here's a photo (there are a few more on Flickr, if you'd like another look):

Luna Lovegood Scarf

Oh, and this was also my first attempt at blocking. I still don't know if I did it perfectly, but I do think it made a positive difference in the shaping and arrangement of the stiches, so that's good. At least I have a little blocking experience under my belt, now.

Scarf stats:

Yarn: Red Heart Sport, "Aran Fleck"
I used a little less than two 2.5 oz (70g) skeins.

Hook: G (I think...)
That's not what the pattern called for, but I knew it didn't really matter that much, seeing as it's a scarf, and I didn't have whatever hook the pattern did call for.

Time: I don't know. I don't really time my crafty pursuits. It's supposed to be fun, and I don't like timing things. Makes me feel like I'm in a race. . . It probably took longer than it "should" have, but I'm still a beginner.

Dimensions:
Approximately 5.5 inches (14cm) wide and 78 inches (198cm) long.

I enjoyed this, and I think I'm now officially "hooked" on crochet (ha ha). I'm even considering making this pattern again to give as a gift. . . If you're looking for a relatively simple pattern that yields a lacy, timeless result, I think this is a good one!