Skip to main content

Free Vintage Crochet

I just happened upon this site today (while trying to figure out what size crochet hook to use for a pattern I'm planning to work in laceweight yarn), and I thought it seemed worth bookmarking.

Free Vintage Crochet is just exactly what it sounds like-- free vintage crochet patterns.  Of course I like the free part. ;o)   The vintage aspect is also very appealing to me:  1) because I like things that are a little (or a lot, sometimes) old-fashioned (& thus it gives me a thrill to think of working and wearing a design from 1916 or whenever), and 2) because "vintage" means that they're (probably) not very common these days, so your crochet creation will stand out from the rest.  (I don't mind using a pattern that practically everyone who crochets is doing, if it's something I really like, but it is nice to be unique every now and again.) 

I haven't looked through all the categories yet, but from what I can see, there are some nifty patterns available there-- all for free!  The only downside (so long as you aren't concerned about not being able to find the exact yarn called for in some-- all?-- the patterns) is that some of the photos are a bit small.  It's always nice to get a really good look at what the finished project's supposed to look like, and some of these require a little squinting and faith.  If you're experienced with crochet, you can probably get a good mental image just by reading the written instructions, but that's trickier for a newbie.  But again-- they're free, so you can't complain too much.  ;o)

P.S.  There are a quite a few doily patterns on the site, and I find myself thinking more and more about giving doilies a try.  I know they're definitely old-fashioned, but I like doilies.  My mother-in-law (Britt-Marie) crocheted some doilies while she and my father-in-law were here on vacation a couple years ago.  Her speed and skill was amazing.  She whipped out one after another-- little works of art.  Before they left, she gave us some of the pieces she'd made.  I don't think I'm up to the type of delicate and elaborate stitchery in those doilies, but I'd like to attempt something simple, one of these days.