Skip to main content

Starry-Eyed with the End in Sight!



Mister Frodo (and Luna, Trixie, and the rest of us) wish you a belated Happy Independence Day!  It's been a bit of an odd one-- a quiet weekend for us, except for the noise of neighbors' fireworks last night-- but it was peacefully pleasant.  Homemade burgers and fries, movie and TV on the comfy couch, some games, sleeping late every morning, and plenty of time to relax and just do "whatever".  (What more could an introverted homebody ask? ...Maybe a little more of it before things get back to what passes for normal these days? 😉)

- - - - - - -

Before turning the page on the calendar, I snapped a photo of part of the picture for June:


"Dragonflies are a great help to the mosquito population."

I know it means that dragonflies help control the mosquito population by eating them (ew, gross!), but I keep getting this mental image of dragonflies dropping off food and supplies to poor mosquito communities... Maybe pitching in to help them build schools and hospitals...

Those kindhearted dragonflies!

- - - - - - -

On Friday, I finished sewing together the bigger blocks of the "Hunter's String Stars" quilt!  

A day or two prior to that, I had arranged them on the design wall (as many as would fit-- the excess were draped elsewhere).


Some of them were barely clinging to the edge of the design wall.  (With the help of some pins... 😅)


Then I started to sew them together using the webbing method.  I have to admit that it's not my favorite part of the quilt-making process!  All those blocks have to come together somehow, but it's kind of a pain.  At least it goes pretty quickly, once you're at this stage in the process.

On Friday, I sewed my last seam, then some "stay-stitching" around the edge of the whole quilt top.  Here it is draped over the quilt frame:


I haven't pressed those last seams, yet.  Sometime soon, because I need to get it up out of Frodo's reach.  He was a little too interested in all those seams on the back!  I'm keeping that door closed, in the meantime, in case he might want to take a nibble.


Phew!  This quilt was a doozy.  So many prints, so many pieces... 😵  It is truly, unquestionably, dizzyingly "busy".  I think it will look best from a distance!  😆

I'm not sure yet what the backing will be (or if I have something in-stash that will work), but whenever I get around to quilting this one, I'm going for something very simple, because anything more will be lost, anyway.  Maybe just a plain old-fashioned meander.

I may work on more than one project at a time, for a while, to keep things interesting. I have a couple of ideas already brewing and have even started pulling fabric for one of them.  This next pattern uses paper piecing, which I haven't really tried beyond a couple very simple units for the "Punkin' Patch" quilt (yet to be quilted).

How about a couple more photos of the "Hunter's String Stars" quilt top?  Just don't look too closely or you'll see my sloppy piecing!  And if you see a mistake in the layout... 😶 There's no way I'm ripping out a single seam on this thing, at this point, so assume any mistakes are actually carefully plotted and completely intentional "design elements".

...Oh, who am I kidding?!  This thing's busy enough to hide even the most egregious layout "design elements" from any but the sharpest eyes.