Skip to main content

FO: "Marion"

Pattern: "Marion", by Grace Fearon
Thread: DMC Baroque (size 10) in "Ecru"
Hook size: 1.75mm

Click here for my Ravelry project page.

"Marion"

The designer now offers (as an additional, separate purchase) a full-project video tutorial (which streams through Facebook, I believe) for people who can prove they have bought the written pattern.  I haven't seen it and don't plan to purchase it, but I imagine such a video would be useful for crocheters who have trouble working from written instructions or who are apprehensive about following an advanced pattern on their own.

"Marion"

My project notes:
What an excellent doily design! The texture is amazing and the written pattern detailed. I enjoyed making this from start to finish.

This is not for a beginner (unless it’s the most adventurous, determined beginner in the world!), but if you take it one bit at a time, I think it’s less challenging than it may look. Just be sure to read the pattern carefully, count your stitches, and use stitch markers when directed. Personally, on long rounds, I find it helpful to use a ruler, index card, sticky note, etc. to keep track of where I am in the instructions. This helps me refer to the pattern at a glance with less confusion.

Again, a great pattern.
If/when I make it again, I’ll try to remember to cut my thread and do an invisible join after finishing round 6-- or whichever is the last round before the blo (back loop only) stitches that create that prominently ridged circle near the middle of the doily. It’s not bad, the way it is, but I think that extra bit of effort might make it look even better.

"Marion"

This doily was a bit of a challenge to block-- not impossible, but more work than average.  (However, I'm not an expert blocker at the best of times...) I think it came out pretty well, though. 

Now for the rest of the many photos I took...  (I can't decide which ones are best, so I'll just show 'em all!)

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

"Marion"

I'll definitely want to make this one again.  I love it! 

I've been thinking about taking the trouble of entering a few items in the county fair, next September (or whenever it comes around), and this is one I think might be worth taking.