Skip to main content

We've Got a Runner! (And a new WIP.)

As promised, I'm back with some photos of the finished and blocked crochet table runner.  The light could've been better (or I could've bothered to use the tripod), but they'll do.

Of course, now that I look at these photos, all I can see is the incongruity of my blocking-- the wobbling lines-- but, again, it will do.  I do think it looks nice on the table, especially when I'm not staring directly at it, looking for flaws.  ;o)

Crochet Table Runner

The pattern was designed by Kazuko Hayashi and was published in a Japanese book (Beautiful Pineapple Crochet Lace).  Though there are some instructions in Japanese only, I think the chart was clear enough to follow without that extra information.  (The book appears to be out of print...)

Crochet Table Runner

Since I wasn't sure about the required yardage and wanted to be sure I'd have enough thread, I used one of those huge "jumbo" balls of Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet in the "Natural" color (ecru/cream).  I have no idea how much thread it took, but I have tons left over for another project (or three).

Crochet Table Runner

Incidentally, the pattern was originally intended to be crocheted with size 40 thread, I believe.  This is size 10, so it came out pretty big.  That's probably for the best.  If I'd used smaller thread, it might not have fit the table so well.  Personally, I like that it hangs over the sides like this.

Crochet Table Runner

...Not sure what else there is to say that hasn't already been said in previous posts...

I suppose I could reiterate that while it was not a particularly difficult pattern-- no terribly advanced stitches or unusual stitch placement-- this felt like a loooong project, and I can't imagine ever wanting to make it again.  I think the fact that it's broken into pieces (three long strips that must be joined and edged) is largely to blame for this "marathon effect".  Also, working back and forth in rows is less enjoyable for me than working in the round, it seems.

Crochet Table Runner

...But I'm glad to have the runner, and I do think it's a lovely design, even with the minor flaws in my own personal finished object (wobbly blocking and ever-so-slightly pokey-outy pinapples).

Crochet Table Runner

(Phew.  I am so glad to be done with it, though!  Never again!)

Crochet Table Runner

It's funny how you sometimes get flashes of what you were doing/thinking/watching when you worked on a project, when you look at it again.  With this one, I'm remembering watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries while I worked on the central strip/panel.

Crochet Table Runner

Here it is a few more times, without any "stuff" on top...

Crochet Table Runner

Crochet Table Runner

Crochet Table Runner


- - - - - -

With the runner (oh-so-blessedly) finished, I was free to start a new thread project.

The pattern is "Marion", by Grace Fearon.  It's an oval(ish) doily that is positively loaded with texture.

The thread is DMC's Baroque (size 10).  I've had it in my stash for years, but this is the first time I'm using this brand.  Based on my experience so far, I'd say it's a pretty nice thread (though I have found a knot in my skein already), but I think I prefer Cébélia (which is another line of crochet thread from DMC).  Plus, Cébélia comes in a range of (26?) colors, whereas Baroque is currently only available in two-- "White" and "Ecru". It's a little boring to go from "Natural" in my last thread project to "Ecru" for this one-- but hey, I love creamy neutrals, so it's not really a problem.

"Marion"

- - - - - -

The dancing pumpkin "window quilts" are pin-basted!

Dancing Pumpkins

They were small enough that I was able to do the basting on the table instead of on the floor.

I wish I could find a way to avoid kneeling, crouching, and crawling while basting larger quilting projects!  I know some people use boards (2x4s or smaller?)...  Maybe I should investigate that method before tackling my next person-sized quilt.  Then there's the option of spray basting, but that sounds like it might be messy (and it's one more product to have to buy).

Dancing Pumpkins

Machine quilting on the "valance" is already underway!  I'm staying with straight-line quilting, for this project, but I'm putting the lines closer together than I did for my first set of "window quilts".

Dancing Pumpkins

Photos will follow when they're finished, but there's still a way to go before then!