Skip to main content

FO: "Multnomah" Shawlette

This is a... unique (shall we say?) finished object post, because I started knitting this shawlette back in April 2012.  (Good grief!)

The shawl went into a long time-out, but was finished in October 2013.  Then it took me another few years to finally block the silly thing.  And now, only five years from the starting date, I've made the effort to take photos of the finished project.  (Talk about a snail's pace!)

"Obsidian Multnomah"
Pattern:  "Multnomah" by Kate Ray.
(Available for free on Ravelry.)

"Obsidian Multnomah"

Yarn:  Deborah Norville Serenity Sock Weight Prints, "Obsidian".
(It took about two skeins.)

"Obsidian Multnomah"

This is definitely a small shawl, though I think there are tips on how to make it somewhat larger.

"Obsidian Multnomah"

Glancing through my project notes, I see that I had a lot of trouble with this project, with multiple "rippings-back".  I'm quite a bit more confident in my knitting, these days, than I was in 2012, and I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of an undertaking to knit it again-- but it was muddling through projects like this one that helped me to improve.

"Obsidian Multnomah"

I'm still not sure I'll ever actually wear this shawlette-- too small to be flattering on me? doesn't "go" with my usual style of dress?-- but I'll hang onto it for a while, in any case.

"Obsidian Multnomah"

(The next time I knit a shawl, I plan to choose a crescent-shaped one.)

"Obsidian Multnomah"

The wavy parts of the feather and fan pattern are pretty.  I especially like the little blips of color that wind through the border.  They remind me a bit of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

"Obsidian Multnomah"

And that's it!
Until a finished object has been given its photo shoot and blog entry, it doesn't really feel "done" to me-- but now I can finally strike this one off the mental to-do list. ;o)

"Obsidian Multnomah"