Thursday, August 27, 2015

Laceweight Scarf and String Block Table Runner

No new blocking since last time.

I decided to put off "Wisp" for the time being and instead knit "Petits Trous de Printemps".  I read a lot of project notes, thought I understood some modifications that I wanted to copy, and cast on.

Oops, realized I wasn't doing something right.  (Bead placement, I think...)
Frogged it (slowly, as this yarn is 70% mohair).

Cast on again.
Soon realized that again something just wasn't right.
Frogged it again!

This time, I decided to put it in the corner for a few days.
When I looked more closely at the pattern, I just couldn't figure out one of the modifications.  People kept saying they were adding an extra stitch for improved symmetry, but in my quick, primitive charts (scribbled over and over again), the extra stitch seemed to lessen the symmetry.

Finally, I asked for help on Ravelry, and right away someone explained it in a way that made complete sense.  (Lesson for next time: Just ask for help!)

I doubt this will make sense or be of interest to anyone, but in case it might... If you're adding beads to the scarf-- on every k2tog or just alternating ones-- and want to make it more symmetrical (though apparently it doesn't make much difference if it's perfectly symmetrical or not) you shouldn't bead the first k2tog.  Start beading on the second one, instead.  That way, the first stitch (which is slipped) and the second stitch (formed with the k2tog) will be two stitches before the first yarn over (which creates a lacy "hole" in the scarf.  The two stitches before the first yo will be balanced at the other end of the scarf if you add another stitch to the cast on.  Knit the last two stitches instead of just the last one.

I don't know why it was so hard for me to see that... I guess because I was so focused on bead placement.  I just assumed you'd bead the first k2tog.  Nope!

The first beaded row was a nightmare, for some reason.  By the second or third beaded row, I had it down.  It still requires a certain amount of concentration, though.  It's not exactly difficult, but I have to make sure everything's in the right position and that I'm holding at all the correct spots to prevent dropped beads or stitches.

Now that I know what I'm doing, it's a very enjoyable project.  The mohair/silk yarn is interesting to knit with, though I think I'd reserve it for relatively simple patterns.

"Petit Trous de Printemps" Scarf

I think this is one of those patterns that looks best after blocking.

- - - - - - -

There's been a little sewing, too.  The string block bug has bitten.  I couldn't justify starting another quilt until I finish at least one quilting work-in-progress, but a table runner seemed like a different matter altogether.  Besides, it'll be a good way for me to learn how to make a quilt sandwich and practice binding.  I've never done it before, and I'm nervous!

I'm using a picture from this page as my inspiration. 

String Block Table Runner

It shouldn't take long to finish the blocks, but I'm already starting to stall, because I'm dreading learning about binding.  (*eyeroll at myself*)

Sooner or later...