Skip to main content

Chit-Chat

Most of this was written a few weeks ago, while I was bored and in a chatty mood. 

- - - - - - -

I've yet to take photos of the things I was supposed to photograph.  So no photos of the bag.  No photos of the scarf.  No photos of my current most-active WIP.  (I've allowed myself a new one-- but it's ok.  I'd kinda-sorta finished a couple of things from my lists, and this is something I promised someone else, so it's not completely selfish.  More on that later.)


I haven't even woven the ends of the Regency Ruffles (a.k.a. Helix Scarf) yet.  (Tsk, tsk!)  I could blame it on Luna (the new puppy), but while it's true that she demands an alarming amount of time every day, technically I could have done all of those things.  I've just been lazy.  (And I've been doing a little yard work... and we've been installing a vented range hood, because the non-vented one that came with our house was pretty much useless.)  

So-- end-weaving and photos?  Maybe tomorrow!

- - - - - - -

The new WIP next-to-latest finished object is a hat for my husband.  I got him to help choose the pattern and at least narrow down the color options.  It probably won't be cold enough for him to need it until the end of the year, but at least it'll be ready then.  I've already made a hat (Hurricane Hat) that ended up being for him, because it fits him better than me-- but this one's especially for him.  :o)  I used the Claudia pattern, which (despite the name) is a unisex hat.  It was fun just to be working on something that wasn't a ruffle scarf. (Here's the project link for the hat.  No photos yet, though.  Such a slacker!!)

- - - - - - -

A few days weeks months years? weeks ago, I overdyed a skein of yarn that I'd already dyed once, before Christmas.  I briefly considered making a hat for my niece.  I had a cute pattern, and I had some cream sock yarn I thought might work, so I dyed it yellow, green, and blue:

Hand-dyed Sock Yarn

Well, I cast on, but I just wasn't enjoying the tiny needles and skinny yarn, at all, so I pulled it out and put the yarn away for another day.  (I still think the hat is adorable, so maybe some other time, some other baby/toddler...)

Since then, I've been wondering what to do with this single skein of yarn.  I think I've found another pattern I like that will work, but I wanted slightly different colors.  Perfect excuse to unpack the dyeing supplies!  Of course, I have no photo of the overdyed yarn... Nor will I be starting that project any time soon...  

Er. I just finished it last week.  (Again, no photos.  What, did you actually think I'd have weaved in the ends and photographed the thing within a few days of binding off?  No, I didn't think so.)  It was another Irish Mesh Cowl-- my second.  I like the pattern, but I had some issues with the end/beginning of the rounds.  They don't completely blend in with rest of the mesh, and I'm not sure if I'm to blame or if it's just the nature of the pattern.  Donald scoffed when I showed him the messy section, and even I don't think it looks awful, but it's still frustrating.

- - - - - - - 

What's next? 

For the time being, I'm pulling out a long-term WIP-- the Old-Fashioned Sampler.  Maybe I'll crochet several blocks before shifting my focus, or maybe I'll only manage one or two before another obsession hits. 

I'd like to weave in a few ends, snap a few photos, and get those things off my mental check-list.  Meanwhile, the kitchen is kind of a disaster after putting in the range hood this weekend...