Monday, September 9, 2013

Slowpoke

Originally, I'd planned to finish dealing with the backlog of existing photos before I set everything up and started taking new photos-- including pictures of more recent finished objects and works-in-progress.  The problem is that I'm being so slooooow in editing and sharing photos from our vacation (which we took, oh, back in July).

Well, one of these days I'll catch up.

In the meantime, here's one crochet photo I took right before our trip:

Pineapple Perfection

The pattern is "Pineapple Perfection" by Patricia Kristoffersen.   (And here's the project page on Ravelry.)  I made it as a gift for my mother-in-law, whom we visited on our recent vacation.

Right now, I have two "active" WIPs.  There's a crochet doily ("Under Glass" by Chantal Chevallier) and a knitted cowl ("Irish Mesh Cowl" by Jo Strong).

It's funny about cowls... When I first started seeing them on Ravelry, I thought they were kind of weird-looking. Ugly, even.  But I guess they started to grow on me, because now I think some of them are pretty.  (Others, however?  Still kind of ugly, imho.)  That's what constant exposure will do to you.  ;o) Well, that and the desire to make something that doesn't take quite the eternity that a scarf can take.  (And they're easy-- usually no shaping, increases, decreases, etc., as with hats and most other accessories.)

Anyway, I started this particular cowl because I wanted to try out my new set of interchangeable knitting needles I bought on sale at Tuesday Morning.  (Thanks to the Ravelry forums for the heads-up!)  It's the Boye Artisan nickel-plated set, and I was a little concerned that the nickel-plating might cause some unfortunate allergic reaction.  I made a "Tribble" dish scrubbie, but that was such a quick project that I wanted to try something else a little bigger.  As far as the nickel-plating goes, so far, so good.


The cowl pattern isn't exactly difficult, but I'm still enough of a novice that anything beyond simple knitting takes me a while.  In this case, psso is the source of frustration.  All the not-fun of a bind-off, smack-dab in the middle of the pattern!  Repeatedly!  Alright, it's not that bad, but I find myself wishing I were using wool yarn instead of 100% acrylic.  Wool feels more elastic than acrylic, which would make psso significantly easier.  But for a couple of reasons, I wanted to try this with acrylic, so I'll just make the best of it.  There's at least one other all-acrylic version on Ravelry, and it turned out to look nice.  There's hope.

In other news--  I cannot wait for autumn to finally-finally-finally arrive.  Of course, considering that it doesn't usually really get here until October, I guess I'll have to.  Back to pretending it's already cool and crisp...