Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Citric Acid Retroghan -- Completed!

As I mentioned last time, I finished the Citric Acid Retroghan earlier this week.  Today, I took a little time to finish weaving in a few loose ends, then let the washer and dryer do their magic.  (Yay for machine washable yarn!)  Straight from the dryer, I hauled it out to the patio swing and snapped a few photos.  I probably should have gone the extra step of setting up the tripod, because my photos could have been a little sharper-- but they'll do.  :o) 

So, here's the "it's finished" post full of gratuitous afghan photos!

Citric Acid Retroghan

Citric Acid Retroghan

Citric Acid Retroghan

Citric Acid Retroghan

I think I've described most of the process in an earlier blog entry.  It was messier than making a bunch of squares or hexagons and joining them (either as you go or all at the end), and I'm not planning on making another afghan like this in the near future, but it was obviously doable. (g)  The trickiest parts were joining the triangles, evening out the strips of triangles so that the vertical stripes wouldn't be too wavy-- though it might have looked fine it I'd left them wavy-- and preparing the two rough sides for the border.

Citric Acid Retroghan

For the edging, I started by single crocheting around the whole thing to even out the rough/selvedge edges.  Then I crocheted two borders from Edie Eckman’s Around the Corner Crochet Borders.  First, I worked border #149 , then I followed with border #24.  I changed colors every round in both borders.

Citric Acid Retroghan

When Donald (my husband) came home and saw it spread over the back of the couch-- finished-- he commented that it looks kind of Mexican.  Funny, because when I'd captioned the photos on Flickr an hour or two earlier, I wondered why I felt the urge to shout "Fiesta!" whenever I looked at it. ;o)  It does look like something you'd see in the decor of a Mexican restaurant...  But in a good way, I hope. (g)

I made the whole thing using yarn I already had in my stash... almost.  I did also use a little yarn that came as part of a single lot of yarn I bought at the thrift store after I'd started this afghan.  Still, I think it qualifies as a stash-busting project, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  :o)  It's even better now that it's been washed.  I'm amazed by how washing softens even somewhat stiff and scratchy acrylic yarn.

It's supposed to get into the 50s overnight, so maybe it'll be cool enough to use the blanket in the morning...