Skip to main content

Crochet vs. Knit (A Mockumentary)

I saw this video on Sarah London's blog this morning and thought it was worth saving here on my own blog.

As a post-knitting-boom crocheter who doesn't know how to knit (and probably won't try to learn for quite some time, simply because I'd rather use the time crocheting at an intermediate level than starting from scratch with a new craft), I must admit that I have at times felt that there has been. . . not quite a stigma against crochet. . . but definitely that it's not nearly as widespread or (sometimes) as deeply appreciated as knitting.  It's the old story of the apologetic "I only crochet". 

(Of course, that's not always been the case.  A nice lady in a thrift shop, as she helped ring up my purchase of yarn, asked if I was going to knit with it.  When I responded that I crochet, she said that she'd always wanted to know how to crochet, but that she could "only" knit.) 

Anyway, this video gave me a laugh, and whether you knit, crochet, or do both, I think there's a good chance it'll make you chuckle, too.


I guess I'm lucky that I come from a crochet family, so I'm not ostracized.  No-one returns my crocheted dish scrubbers with a look of disdain.  Or at least, not based purely on the fact that they are crocheted ;o) Not many members of my family crochet, but I think more know how to crochet than know how to knit. . . which is part of the reason I chose crochet to begin with-- because I was somewhat familiar with it and knew it was do-able. . . which I suppose means that for me, being a crocheter is being a conformist (g)).  So much for being part of an underground crochet movement!  I'm not really much for counterculture for its own sake, anyway, though, so it's probably just as well.