Skip to main content

Queen Anne's Lace Scarves

(I'm trying to catch up on my sewing/crochet-related blogging, one project at a time. After that, I hope to do better about keeping fairly up-to-date, here. Of course, with items made to give, that can be a little tricky. You don't want to risk the future recipient of an item seeing it on your blog!)

I think the Queen Anne's Lace scarf was one of those first projects that got me serious about picking up crochet again (after some uninspiring one-color grannies and a long period of no crocheting at all). It was definitely on my short list of patterns to try. As of now, I've made three scarves in (more or less) this same pattern, and I can heartily recommend it to anyone else who knows even only the most basic crochet stitches.

Queen Anne's Lace scarf

(You can learn more about the pattern and my use of it on my scarves' Ravelry page.  Otherwise, this pattern-- written by Khebhin Gibbons-- is available here.)  

I made two Queen Anne's Lace scarves from one skein of this pretty, light green yarn (Lion Brand Baby Soft Solid in "Pistachio").  I made one scarf slightly longer than the other, but both are quite generous in length.  (I prefer longer scarves, when there's enough yarn to make them so.) I gave these to my mother and one of my sisters as part of their Christmas gifts.

I also made a Queen Anne's Lace scarf for myself using I Love This Cotton ("Old Leaf").  (Such a silly-sounding brand name, I think. It's the "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific" of the yarn world. (g) However, the yarn is wonderfully soft, and I do kind of love it. . .)   I've yet to photograph that one, but I'll get around to it, one of these days.

I actually used a slightly different pattern (by Catherynne over at Arty Farty) for the cotton scarf.  It's basically the same design, but the numbers of stitches aren't the same, with the main difference being that the motif in the pattern I linked to first is somewhat more elongated. They look very similar, but I think I prefer the pattern I used for these pale green scarves.  Still, it can't hurt to read through them both.  One set of instructions may be clearer to you than the other.

Queen Anne's Lace scarf

I love this pattern for the fact that it’s quite simple, yet to the uninitiated looks intricate and difficult. It’s very easily memorized and rather addictive. (“Just one more motif, and then I’ll stop for a while… Ok, just one more… No, I’m serious this time. Just let me finish this last one…”) ;o)  It's very repetitive, but I like that in a crochet pattern.  You can really get into a rhythm with this one!

Getting started is definitely the hardest part with the Queen Anne's Lace scarf.  You have to keep close track of when you’re supposed to turn, the first little bit, but eventually it’ll all click and there’ll be no stopping you! 

Queen Anne's Lace scarf