Skip to main content

Hexagons & a Sewing Machine Cover

I think I'm just about to the finishing point of the length of the Catherine Wheel scarf/cowl, but because I didn't heed my own advice, I've yet to dye the yarn for the edging.  (Maybe I'll do that today... Shouldn't be time-consuming, but getting back into dyeing mode takes an effort.)  That project's on the back burner, now.

- - - - - - - 

When I put away the scarf project bowl, I pulled out the basket of yarn for the Simply Soft hexagon afghan. 

Crochet Hexagons

It doesn't look much different from the last time I photographed it, but I've added several more hexagons since then.  Progress is slowed by the need to stop and deal with the loose ends, every now and then, but there's also no sense of urgency to finish the blanket. 

Crochet Hexagons

Crochet Hexagons

- - - - - - -

I've also begun to sew a cover for the old sewing machine.  I don't have much experience sewing three-dimensional objects, so I thought that this could provide some practice before getting down to the real challenge-- sewing a cover for the new machine.

I'm not really following any pattern or tutorial, though I've looked at a few for inspiration.  I'll be happy if it just fits, at this point!  There's not much wasted, even if it doesn't work.  The floral fabric was a freebie (and not quilting fabric), and the white lining is just a piece of an old sheet leftover from when I sewed curtains for the kitchen.  

WIP: Sewing Machine Cover

- - - - - - - 

Crafty interests aside, I'm feeling the urge to get some things done outside, before the cool season is over.  There are some major plans to be put into action.  I don't expect we'll get most of them done this season, but some of it... I know it's only January, but our plans have a way of taking forever to implement, so I'm starting to panic that mosquitoes and wasps and snakes and humid heat are just around the corner! (g)  

We may not completely clear the paths through the woods... We probably won't purchase/put up the new fencing (and gates and arbor)... But we must put in the gravel paths (because until we do, we and the dogs are tracking more dirt than usual into the house, I'm convinced-- and it's driving me crazy), and I will rake and haul more pine straw to mulch the flowerbeds.  If not all of them, at least the new beds in the "cottage garden" part of the yard.  (Supposedly, true cottage gardens don't need much mulch, because they're so crammed full of plants that there's hardly room for it.  Let's just say that my "cottage garden" isn't quite to that level, yet...)

It's fairly chilly (by our standards), right now.  The high is only projected to get into the 40s (Fahrenheit)-- but I could still rake pine straw... Or maybe start burning some of the limbs/small trash trees we've already cleared from the forest... I think they should be dry enough to burn, now...

A few photos from the trails already on my grandparents' and parents' property, which we have the very good fortune of being able to enjoy:

January 2015

January 2015

January 2015

January 2015

January 2015

...And this beautiful live oak is down at the bottom of our own couple of acres.  This would be a pleasant spot for a bench or picnic table, someday...

January 2015

Time to stop thinking and start doing!