Skip to main content

Posts

Starry-Eyed with the End in Sight!

Mister Frodo (and Luna, Trixie, and the rest of us) wish you a belated Happy Independence Day!  It's been a bit of an odd one-- a quiet weekend for us, except for the noise of neighbors' fireworks last night-- but it was peacefully pleasant.  Homemade burgers and fries, movie and TV on the comfy couch, some games, sleeping late every morning, and plenty of time to relax and just do "whatever".  (What more could an introverted homebody ask? ...Maybe a little more of it before things get back to what passes for normal these days? 😉)

- - - - - - -
Before turning the page on the calendar, I snapped a photo of part of the picture for June:


"Dragonflies are a great help to the mosquito population."

I know it means that dragonflies help control the mosquito population by eating them (ew, gross!), but I keep getting this mental image of dragonflies dropping off food and supplies to poor mosquito communities... Maybe pitching in to help them build schools and hosp…
Recent posts

Finished: "Tavra"

I try to have only one doily project going at a time, because otherwise, one gets pushed to the side, and I lose interest.  The subject of this blog post has been my "in-progress" doily since the end of last November.  It shouldn't have taken so long to finish, because it's not particularly large or difficult, compared to other patterns I've crocheted.  I guess I was just distracted by other (non-doily) projects... And maybe my reluctance to crochet on it was partly due to the fact that I used dark thread, which is more difficult to see than lighter colors.

Whatever the reason, this finish has been a long time coming, so I'm even more excited than usual to have it done!


The pattern is "Tavra", by Grace Fearon.

Based on the stated yardage requirements, I thought it wise to have three balls of thread in the same color and dye-lot, but as it turned out, two were enough.  If I'd known that, I wouldn't have chosen this dark purple thread (one of …

Putting It Together

I've finally reached that point in the "Hunter's String Star" pattern where things are coming together.

Joined units and string squares combine, from their various stacks...


And turn into the building blocks for the whole quilt:


It's happening! It's happening! 😉

You can see the pattern emerging!  (This won't be the final layout, but it's a start.)


The perfect candy for enjoying while piecing this project in neutrals and every shade of red? Jolly Rancher hard candy in "Awesome Reds"!  😁 (The reds are always the best, aside from green sour apple, of course.)


It feels like a long time coming-- I guess I'm not exactly a speedy stitcher!-- but it's finally beginning to feel like I may actually complete this quilt in the not-too-distant future!

Meanwhile, I'm on the last round of the doily, so that should be done in no time at all.  There should be a finished object to show before long.

One Step at a Time...

Sometimes my craft projects seem to creep along at a snail's pace, but they (usually) get there eventually, one step at a time. 

Today's "one step" is on the Hunter's String Star quilt.  I'm very nearly finished with joining HSTs to chevron units.  There are only a handful left to do, and then it's on to the next step in that particular pattern. 


I'm also just a step (or two) from finishing my current doily project.  There are only two rounds remaining!  They look fairly time-consuming in the pattern, but an evening or two of crocheting in front of the TV should knock those out, as long as I don't make mistakes.

Of course, I could have already been done with the doily, if I hadn't taken a detour and crocheted another tissue box cozy.  (Pattern: "Granny's Tissue Box Cover", by Daniela Herbertz)


Well... Sometimes a little detour is worth taking!  It keeps things exciting!


- - - - - - -
Speaking of detours, I've never put a gif i…

FO: "Scrappy Arkansas Crossroads"

After seeing scrappy versions of quilts made of "Arkansas Crossroads" blocks, I wanted to make one of my own.  It's been in the works for a while. I'm not really even sure how long ago I started... Maybe a couple of years back?

There are a couple of ways to make this quilt.  Slightly different results, but a similar look overall.  I used Lori Holt's tutorial to make mine.


(One thing you'll notice in these photos is that the points don't always match.  The seams of the squares don't always line up.  I know that nothing is perfect, but this one's really not perfect.  I could do better, and maybe one day I will, but... at the moment, I'm just not willing to agonize over it.  I'm not entering my quilts in shows, nor are they destined to be family heirlooms, so as long as I'm satisfied, it's good enough.)

There's not a lot to say about this quilt. 

--The piecing is fairly straightforward.  Nothing advanced. Just four-patches and so…

FO: "Lotus Moon Tiles"

There's one more finished afghan to share-- "Lotus Moon Tiles", a crochet design by Polly Plum.


I started this afghan in September 2019 and finished it in February 2020.  It's not a large afghan, so I could have finished it much more quickly, but every time I came to a point where I needed to make a color decision or begin another phase of the pattern, it went into Time Out.

This afghan, like so many of Polly Plum's designs, is texture-rich and fairly complex-- a significant step up in difficulty from the granny square.  However, the pattern is very carefully and clearly written, which is a great help.

I love the look of the join the designer chose (a free single crochet join-as-you-go method by The Hat & I).  This join has a lovely twisty effect.  If I remember, I'd be happy to use it again for other afghans in the future.  It would be great for joining sampler afghans.

The pattern includes a guide for calculating yarn amounts for larger versions of the …