Skip to main content

Finished! "Retro-Cali Ribbon Stars" Quilt

 

This "ta-da" has been a long time coming, so I don't really have much to say about it...  

I started by making string blocks on the treadle.  (Wanting to sew strings on the Minnesota treadle was the whole reason for starting this project.)  I then transformed these string blocks into HSTs (two HST blocks per original string block) with a plain white background.  A stitch-and-flip HST to the other corner of sixteen of these blocks is what makes the scrappy on-point squares in the center of each star.  The layout is easy enough to see.  I added some sashing and borders of background fabric, then topped it off with a simple string-pieced border on just the top and bottom of the quilt.  

I pieced a backing from a couple of flannel prints, then free-motion quilted the whole thing with easy swirls.  The final touch was a scrappy binding.  

That about covers it.  It's just an easy string-star quilt.  The "exploded" element (huge stars on a white background) feels very modern, but I think it might be prettier with a more restrained color palette.  If I were to do this again, I'd use a smaller scale.  

Anyway, it was an interesting experience, and I'm happy to have it done.  

Now for a bunch of photos!













I'm still working through a backlog of photos and topics, so there should be at least a few more blog posts in relatively short order before I get back up to date.  More to come!