Skip to main content

Art Deco Mystery'ghan-Along

On Friday, we got our first pattern update (a.k.a. Clue #1) for Julie Yeager's 2014 MCAL!

I couldn't resist peeking at other crocheters' project photos before starting my own.  Maybe it spoils some of the surprise to peek, but you still have no idea how all the pieces will go together-- and I prefer having at least a vague idea of what I'm going for.  (It also helps me determine whether or not to deviate from the pattern in recommended color, color changes, etc.)

I decided to add another (lighter) green to the mix-- and I may use more orange (or pumpkin or rust) than I initially expected. 

Originally, I'd planned to use a G hook for this project, but after working the first motif, I decided to go up to size H, which should yield a slightly looser, more flowing fabric. 

The deadline for downloading the MCAL pattern for free has been extended, by the way.  (To July 21st, I think...)  So if you've been on the fence, there's still time.  It looks like it's going to be a fun one.  Lots of texture and motifs in a variety of shapes.


How about a photo?


If you don't want the first clue spoiled, don't scroll down!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


The 12 popcorn grannies did get a little tedious, but fortunately they're not big.  And popcorn stitches are fun, in moderation.  I joined them into two strips of six, because Julie mentioned on the discussion board that we could go ahead and do so, if we were looking for something else to do before the next clue comes out.

There was some debate about how to work the center of the hexagons.  I did my first one (the experiment with the G hook) "sc 3 down one dc, sc 3 up the next", but then read that Julie actually intended the pattern to be worked "down" each dc (though she added that it was a matter of personal preference, and either would work).  I ended up working them as intended, but I'm still not sure which look I prefer.  Some people have been working that raised round in another color, but I'm leaving it plain for now.  You can always go back and add some "surface crochet" in a contrasting color-- at any time. 

For the decagon, lots of people have been experimenting with adding stripes instead of using just one color for the whole thing.  I decided to follow suit.  If nothing else, it's a good way to get an idea of how some of your colors work together.  My decagon doesn't include either of the darker greens I'm using (the avocado in the popcorn grannies or the darker green I've yet to use), but I'm happy with how the other colors look together.  I still think it's best to keep the peach and the harvest gold separated, though.

(Note to self:  The easiest way to do that-- since I won't know how the pieces go together until the very end-- would be to make a point of never ending a motif/piece with harvest gold.  Swap to pumpkin instead, for the last round or two.  Well, that or just don't worry about it.)

Looking forward to the next clue!