Skip to main content

Day 5 of 30 Days of Knitting

Day 5:  How long did it take from the time you learned how to knit, to finish your first project?

Knitting:
Well, I tried to teach myself to knit twice.  The first time, I don't think I got beyond a row or two of knitting a garter stitch square-- then I gave up on it for a while.  A year later, I tried again (and had to re-learn how to cast on and knit), and it stuck.  If you count that first garter stitch dishcloth as my first project, it took me a day or two-- started it one day, finished it the next.  ((g) That's kind of hilarious.  The thing is tiny.  Today, I could finish it in no time-- certainly in one sitting.)

My first non-dishcloth project (Drizzled Chocolate Scarf) took longer.  Started November 19th, 2011 and finished December 8th, 2011.

Oh, and I just realized maybe I've been misinterpreting this question.  I taught myself to knit (the time it stuck) on October 2nd, 2011.  So it took me a day from then to finish my first dishcloth and about two months after learning to knit to finish my first non-dishcloth project. 


Crochet:
If you remember, I couldn't tell you exactly when/how I learned to crochet, which complicates things for this question, too... What I consider my first finished crochet object was the Luna Lovegood scarf, which only took me a few days to crochet--  but I have no idea how long I began working on it after I first started learning to crochet.  It was a while, I imagine.  (I was a very slow starter in crochet.)

I rely on Ravelry to "remember" so much of my crochet/knitting stuff for me-- and yet I hadn't joined or wasn't active on Ravelry until I'd been crocheting a little while.  Well, I just now finally remembered Flickr.  There are a few photos on Flickr to remind me of the timeline.  I was making my ugly variegated granny squares in the summer of 2008.  About a year later, I tried to remember the pattern and practiced making granny squares again.  However, I don't think I really loved granny squares-- didn't know how to switch colors, saw them more as practice than part of a real project I wanted to complete-- and so they fell by the wayside.  A couple of months later (September 2009), I was making ugly dishcloths. (g)  Then I think I tried a scarf pattern that I thought looked easy, but turned out to be almost entirely the lover's knot stitch-- which I now realize was a very poor choice for a beginner!  After that, I made the Luna Lovegood Scarf (October 2009), and everything finally began to click. (Whew!)