Skip to main content

Crumb-Quilt Progress

 A few days ago, I woke too early and had trouble getting back to sleep. I finally decided I wasn't going to fall asleep again, so I went to the craft room to work on the crumb quilt.  

I've been assembling more crumb strips, roughly measuring them to the same general length (and adding more pieces where needed), then laying them aside, trying to clear up some space on the design wall-- and also looking to learn whether or not it was too soon to put away the leftover crumbs.  

Here's the view from the sewing machine once daylight broke... It's peaceful in there, and so quiet with everyone else asleep.  Pieceful?  Crumb-pieceful?  

The design wall is still holding the last of the un-joined-up string stars, the border units for that quilt, and (in this photo, at least) the remnants of the crumb blocks.  As of this writing, those crumb units are all stitched together.  I'm ready to move on to the next phase, at long last!

Here are the crumb strips, draped unceremoniously and in no particular order on the quilting frame.  Eventually, I'll have to actually really measure them, somehow, and trim them down to the right size.  I'm not looking forward to that day.

The string stars will wait while I attempt free-style piecing some words for the crumb strip quilt.  This is my first try, so there's a learning curve.  I have a handful of letters pieced, but they're not put together into full words, yet.  That's next!  More on that (with photos) in the near future!

(Please ignore the long-suffering pile of shirts in need of ironing and/or repair.  Who has time for that?!)

Also in the works:  
Still plugging away at a diamond painting, whenever the mood strikes me.  It's a good thing to do when you're too tired to want to sew.  Not too difficult, soothingly repetitious, and great for keeping your hands busy while you listen to something (to keep your mind busy, too).  

Still crocheting "Oculus of Stars".  I'm on round 44 at the moment.  Still a long way to go, but every round is progress!