Skip to main content

FO: "Lotus Moon Tiles"

There's one more finished afghan to share-- "Lotus Moon Tiles", a crochet design by Polly Plum.


I started this afghan in September 2019 and finished it in February 2020.  It's not a large afghan, so I could have finished it much more quickly, but every time I came to a point where I needed to make a color decision or begin another phase of the pattern, it went into Time Out.

This afghan, like so many of Polly Plum's designs, is texture-rich and fairly complex-- a significant step up in difficulty from the granny square.  However, the pattern is very carefully and clearly written, which is a great help.

I love the look of the join the designer chose (a free single crochet join-as-you-go method by The Hat & I).  This join has a lovely twisty effect.  If I remember, I'd be happy to use it again for other afghans in the future.  It would be great for joining sampler afghans.

The pattern includes a guide for calculating yarn amounts for larger versions of the afghan, but I decided to stick with the original 12-octagon layout, which makes a good size for a lapghan.

My color choices were based on what I had in stash:

--Caron One Pound, “Off White”
--Caron One Pound, “Sunflower”
--mill ends, light purple heather/tweed
--I Love This Yarn!, “Mulberry”
--I Love This Yarn!, “Hyacinth”
--Caron One Pound, “Limeaide”
--Caron One Pound, “Grass Green”
--Stitch Studio by Nicole Earthtone, “Teal”
--Stitch Studio by Nicole Earthtone, “Silver Fox”
--mill ends, darker purple heather/tweed
--Caron One Pound, “Denim”









I think it turned out to be pretty (if I do say so myself).  If I  were to make it again, I'd probably go for a scrappier style with different colors for each lotus.  I can see it in warm, autumnal hues... Or sunset colors...

Actually, now that I look at the photos, I think I might like to make an afghan of nothing but the "leaves" (the square motifs).  That could be a lot of fun in scraps.  Not enough hours in the day!  (And too many afghans already in the house!)