Skip to main content

Stardust Melodies CAL (Etc.)

I fell completely behind on the doily crochet-along.  I think it wrapped up late last week-- or at least the final clue was released then-- so I'll just take my time and work on it when I feel like it.  (Soon, I hope!)

I am still keeping up with the afghan CAL, though.
Here are my blocks for the three latest pattern releases (not counting the one that came out today):

"Just One of Those Things":

"Just One of Those Things"

This was an interesting pattern to crochet.  I think the motif could be interpreted as either a flower or a four-leaf clover.  It would be pretty repeated over a whole blanket.

"Just One of Those Things"

I'm still making two of each block pattern; here's the second one:

"Just One of Those Things"

"Just One of Those Things"


Together:

"Just One of Those Things"

"Pennies from Heaven":

"Pennies from Heaven"

This is a very simple pattern with a polka-dot effect.  It works up quickly and easily.  (Great TV- or movie-crocheting!)  Even a fairly new crocheter could feel confident about this one, I think.

"Pennies from Heaven"

Here it is in blue:

"Pennies from Heaven"

"Pennies from Heaven"

Together:

"Pennies from Heaven"

This is a stack of all my blocks up to (including) "Pennies from Heaven":

Stardust Melodies Crochet Blocks

"Stormy Weather":

"Stormy Weather"

This one's a little more complicated.  The main challenge is the special stitch (dc6tog), which requires a certain amount of practice and/or intuition.  I love the results-- very poofy-- but I found it a bit difficult to relax and enjoy crocheting this block until the special stitches were all done...

"Stormy Weather"

Can you imagine enlarging/extending this pattern to make an entire baby blanket or pillow covered in that fluffy special stitch?  It would positively devour yarn, but I bet it would be dreamy-soft.

"Stormy Weather"

"Stormy Weather"


The colors are off in my last photo, and I'm too lazy to go back and re-edit it.  The "Soft Green" is actually closer to the color in the photos further up the page.

"Stormy Weather"

These last few photos are of a different project.

I wanted to make a small something to put in with the Father's Day gift for my Dad, this year.  He's always enjoyed listening to music, and in recent years, he's been collecting vinyl records.  I thought these crochet coasters could be a fun addition to his Man-Cave, where he stores and listens to his records.

"On the Record":

"On the Record" Coasters

They work up really quickly.  (The main thing that slowed me down was having to stop and weave in the ends!)

"On the Record" Coasters

Because I was using what I had on hand and I didn't have any cotton or wool in the right colors, these are acrylic yarn.  Some people seem to think that acrylic is a bad choice for coasters.  I don't know if that's true or not.  Acrylic yarn seems to repel water, to some degree, but I'm not sure if that's really a bad thing in a coaster, as long as it's not "holey" fabric...

In any case, to be on the safe side, I blanket-stitched some circles of black (acrylic) felt to the bottoms of the coasters.  I think that should make them sufficiently water-proof for standard coaster duty.

"On the Record" Coasters

Next up is the newly-released CAL block named "A Kiss to Build a Dream On"-- and then maybe I'll tackle the next part of the doily.